IS-Instruments is an SME based in Tonbridge, Kent, and we specialise in developing spectrometers, Raman systems and LIDAR products. We are expanding our product range and have recently been awarded a number of exciting development contracts. We work extensively in the Biopharmaceutical industry, medical research, the nuclear sector (decommissioning and fusion) and in gas sensing.
We pride ourselves on our ability to solve difficult problems requiring innovation and creative thinking, using skills from our team of scientists, engineers and developers, and we need people with a similar mindset and outlook.
We work closely with the team at i3D robotics which specialises in stereo camera technology and software development. This offers our team the opportunity to learn about additional technologies and can inspire unique collaborations.
About the Role:
We are seeking an ambitious development scientist or engineer to work with our multidisciplinary team developing laser-based instrumentation such as spectrometers for use in diverse sectors such as biopharmaceutical, healthcare, nuclear and gas sensing. Key elements of the role are:
- To help develop new instrumentation and technologies
- Drive existing technologies to production
- Be part of innovative new research programs
- Develop new and existing skills alongside experienced scientists, engineers and developers
The successful candidate should be educated to at least degree level in Physics, Photonics, Mechanical Engineering or other relevant qualification, and be capable of working independently and within a focused collaborative team. The position would suit a new graduate looking to looking to apply their knowledge in a practical laboratory setting.
- Applicable qualification to degree level or equivalent
- Good English written & verbal communication skills
- Practical experience of optical systems
- Knowledge of CAD
- Knowledge of FEA
- Knowledge of LabVIEW/C++/Python
- Knowledge of spectroscopy
- Be comfortable presenting information to the wider audience
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent, based primarily on-site at our offices and workshops
Salary: £25,000 to £30,000 per year
- 25 days holiday + standard bank holidays
- Casual dress
- Company events & team building days
- Company pension
- Free on-site parking
- 10-minute walk from mainline train station
- Sick pay
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Performance bonus
With a fully vaccinated workforce we adhere to the UK Government Guidelines. Additional measures may be required when working at customer sites.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Tonbridge TN9 1SP: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor’s (preferred)
- United Kingdom (preferred)
To apply, please send your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Development Scientist / Engineer